Fox Investigation for New Discovery of Biomarkers (BioFind)
Fox Investigation for New Discovery of Biomarkers
The primary objective of this study is the discovery and validation of biomarkers of PD, PD progression and clinical sub-types.
Accepts Control Volunteers:
55 - 93
Time Since Diagnosis:
5 - 18 years
Biomarkers, Postural Instability (falling)
This is a multicenter observational study to discover and validate biomarker in subjects with PD. Healthy control subjects will also be recruited for this study. Both PD subjects and healthy control subjects will have 2 visits in the study and be enrolled for approximately 2 weeks. Both PD subjects and healthy control subjects will have a review of medical history, family history, neurological exam, cognitive and sleep, PD rating scales, questionnaires, blood sample collection for DNA and a lumbar puncture.
More Inclusion & Exclusion Criteria▼
- Bradykinesia, rigidity and resting tremor. Unilateral symptoms.
- Established response to dopaminergic agents for PD pts.
- 5 to 18 years duration from onset of symptoms.
- For volunteers who do not have PD: family history of PD in a first degree relative
- Has other serious neurological disorders (clinically significant stroke, brain tumor, hydrocephalus, epilepsy, other neurodegenerative disorders, encephalitis, repeated head trauma).
- Has early severe autonomic involvement
- Symptomatic orthostatic, hypotension or urinary incontinence within one year of onset of disease symptom.
- Current treatment with anticoagulants (e.g., Coumadin, heparin) that might preclude safe completion of the lumbar puncture.
- Condition that precludes the safe performance of routine lumbar puncture, such as prohibitive lumbar spinal disease, bleeding diathesis, or clinically significant coagulopathy or thrombocytopenia.
- Any other medical or psychiatric condition or lab abnormality, which in the opinion of the investigator might preclude participation.
- Use of investigational drugs or devices within 60 days prior to baseline (dietary supplements taken outside of a clinical trial are not exclusionary, e.g., coenzyme Q10).
- Has lower body predominant symptoms.
- Has supra-nuclear gaze palsy, CG sign, corticospinal track signs.